Tobie Langel wrote:
> I'm also concerned about naming the method adequately. Sam suggested
> Element#denominate which looks nicer than (generate|assign)Id but
> which I fear could be confused with setting the "name" attribute. The
> only other option I came up with is Element#identify. Thoughts on this
> issue ?
>
> Also, I'm wondering whether the method should return the element - for
> chaining purposes and to follow the general pattern of the other DOM
> methods - or the generated id itself, which IMHO would proove more
> useful here. Again, what are your thoughts ?
>
> Thanks for your valuable input,
>
> Tobie

The function seems more useful if it returns the id.  I'd vote for the
name Element#getId().  Then you can call the function and always get an
id back regardless of whether the element has an id already.  I like
Jeff Watkin's exact implementation.  I think that the namespacing idea
is interesting but an edge case--creating groups of elements is as easy
as creating a hash:

{"group1": [el1, el2, el3], "group2": [el4, el5, el6]}

- Ken