Pretty funny I actually ended up needing this very feature two days
later...

Anyway, working on a patch for it.

Jeff, Ryan: could you give me a use case for the scoped prefixes ? My
intial thought is to think they're overkill / too specific... but I
don't mind being prooved wrong.

I'm also concerned about naming the method adequately. Sam suggested
Element#denominate which looks nicer than (generate|assign)Id but
which I fear could be confused with setting the "name" attribute. The
only other option I came up with is Element#identify. Thoughts on this
issue ?

Also, I'm wondering whether the method should return the element - for
chaining purposes and to follow the general pattern of the other DOM
methods - or the generated id itself, which IMHO would proove more
useful here. Again, what are your thoughts ?

Thanks for your valuable input,

Tobie