Andrew Red wrote:
> Gentlemen,
> I notice a function which breaks a string into array of words ( $w() )
> is used along the code very indiscriminately just when a simple array
> would suffice.
Andrew,

I'm also new to the Ruby world.  It seems that the $w() function has an
analogous %w() in Ruby and qw() in Perl so apparently the concept is
quite widespread.  As you know, Ruby and Perl are pioneers of short
function names and shorthand notation which can be quite foreign to
those like you and I coming from other languages.

In many situations $w() does save a lot of space and makes things _more_
readable, so, for consistency, the idea is to use it everywhere within
the framework.

- Ken Snyder