The thing is that someone who knows Prototype knows that update
changes the innerHTML of an element. If another programmer sees your
code and sees you're updating an image, he'll be a little puzzled :)

If you use image.src = path, or image.setAttribute("src", path) or
image.writeAttribute("src", path) or image.writeAttribute({ src: path
}), the intent will be much clearer. And if you want to use update
because of the chaining that Prototype allows, using
Element#writeAttribute also returns the extended element :)

Best,
-Nicolas