I understand what you're saying, however I'm more interested in making
the functionality of Prototype's update function worthwhile for all
the elements which are extended to use it.  Like I said, currently
calling ".update" on an image does nothing.  My point is "Why waste
it?".

When "updating" an image, the only thing that comes to mind besides
style is the src attribute.  The IMG tag is an interesting one -- the
only content it may contain is a single image (possibly adjusted using
style) and is simply defined as the src attribute as there is no
"innerHTML" to touch.  That being said, setting the src attribute
makes the most sense for an otherwise unused update call.

I'm sure there will be more appreciative people than puzzled people if
the functionality I propose makes it's way in.