I just tried it and the bug is still here (and there other bugs,
because the following simple code doesn't even work on Firefox with
the trunk version, it works just fine with the 1.6.0.2 stable)

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<head>
        <title>Test IE Bug with Prototype 1.6.0.2</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="prototype_trunk_9_5_08.js"></
script>
        <script type="text/javascript">
        function tesst() {
        $('test').update('Doesnt work');
        }
        </script>
</head>
<h1>This is a test of the bug with Prototype 1.6.0.2</h1>
<input type="button" value="Click to test" onclick="tesst();" />

Save the above piece of code in a .htm file and run it in  FIREFOX 3.0
and IE 7. In FF 3 if we use stable 1.6.0.2 code works as expeected. In
IE 7 it fails. The problem is that I cannot extend the <object> tag
with the $ function. It's really unbelivable that this hasn't been
documented / fix to this date ...