sorry, Kangax for the delay in getting back to you. My computer turned
off before I could click send last night.

Of course, we can return named function.

What I'd want to avoid, however, (for measurable[1] performance hit
_every time the function is called_) is multiple closures.

So we should be avoiding the following construct:

(function() {
  var index = 1;
  return (function() {
    if (SOME_FEATURE_TEST) {
      return function namedFunc() { return index }
    }
    return function namedFunc2() { return index + 1 }
  })();
})()

[1]
http://blog.zenbe.com/2008/11/07/jslitmus-a-tool-for-testing-javascript-performance/