On Mar 3, 12:53 pm, Mislav Marohnić <mislav.maroh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 18:43, kangax <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's not clear what will be left of Prototype if it was to change its
> > core way of doing things -
>
> Exactly.
>
> What's the big deal? Can anybody explain a concrete situation where you put
> two libraries together and the browser goes up in flames? Has anybody really
> got bitten by modules in the global namespace like Template or Hash?
>
> Prototype was for some time the world's most popular library exactly
> for the reason it provided these classes/methods/features.

Some time ago, there were no hundreds of jQuery, mootools or whatever
else extensions floating around, and I don't think compatibility was
as crucial as it is now. Yes, I remember Prototype conflicting with
some MS' map-related libraries, with Ext.js and its
Function.prototype.* extensions, with jQuery's `$`, with a bunch of
Mootools "globals", and some of the minor libraries which rely on
native array extensions like `map` : )

--
kangax