A couple of thoughts about Function#bind:

- it's part of the ES 3.1 draft, so will be found in browsers natively
pretty soon, and
- it's been been completely rewritten for our next release, so the
overhead should be much lighter.

Regarding extensions of native prototypes in general, a lot of methods
originally introduced by Prototype (the so-called rubyisms), which
were then added to FF will make it to the ES 3.1 spec. Yes, there's
one infortunate issue with Array#reduce, but the fact there we're now
a lot more present on the ES 3.1 mailing list helps to make sure this
won't happen again.

One of the great assets of Prototype is it's language enhancement
features. One of the great issues of Prototype is the way this causes
pollution.

Ideally, we can achieve better balance between those for Prototype
2.0.

It's certainly on my plate!

Best,

Tobie