Hi Rob,

We're planning to shift to native JSON support in our 1.7 release.

Unfortunately, our implementation of JSON was based on Doug's initial
one[1], which used different semantics altogether.

It turns out that the steps we took back then to avoid naming
collisions (using the toJSON method named rather than toJSONString
which Doug's initial implementation used) have turned against us. So
defaulting to the native implementation might cause some small
backward-compatibility issues for some of our users, hence the wait
for a more important release.

Your patch is of course more than welcomed!

I'm not sure what you mean by event wrappers in Webkit (nor in other
browsers). Currently, we extend[2] Event.prototype in standard-
compliant browsers with a couple of methods[3]. And extend event
instances in IE before passing them to listeners. In neither cases are
the elements wrapped. In webkit, the cost is negligible, as done once
at runtime on Event.prototype.

I heard from Sam that you had made significant performance
improvements to the Array iterators. If you have a patch there too,
that's again welcomed.

Best,

Tobie

[1] http://json.org/json.js