Hi Justin

I'm not 100% sure about that, but after a quick look at prototype
source code, I would recommend you the following solution:
1. change the DIV (child of FORM) into FIELDSET (better semantics)
2. use Form.serialize(YOUR_FIELDSET)

And the general solution for prototype could be extending the
fieldsets with the methods like serialize() :)

Greetings :)