Ok, you're right...that was the problem.  I made the change and the
row coloring worked just fine.  That said, I did want to use the
effect when removing the row (and adding a row [highlight] for that
matter).  I tried stringing together the .remove and the
setRowFeatures but that gave me a Javascript error.

row.fade({afterFinish: function(fx){ fx.element.remove();
setRowFeatures();}});

Is there another way to force waiting for the .remove to finish before
proceeding?  And also, can you tell why my add doesn't work in
Netscape 7 and why the Effect.Highlight doesn't show?

Thanks again for your help.