Thanks Walter, that cleared things up.

Here is a link to the HTML that contains the new Ajax.Autocompleter
code as well as my input field and response div.  The PHP script
prints a string of the following format:

[ul]
   [li id="1234"][strong]Perk[/strong]ins, Justin[/li]
   [li id="5678"][strong]Perk[/strong]ins, Tim[/li]
[/ul]

http://pastie.org/279871