"Why are you printing the variable contents instead of using the variables
directly?"

if the variable has been printed to the browser, then I'm not aware of the
difference (between a variable and the value of the variable).  I mean, once
I swap something out using innerHTML, it doesn't matter if it's a variable
or not as the value of the variable is what gets printed.  In case I was not
clear, the errors are thrown when the user clicks on the element with an
onclick - as opposed to when the page is getting built.

also - I am using Ajax.Request to get new user messages.  These messages are
represented by a user thumbnail (for example) and there's an onclick on the
thumbnail that loads the message.

so in reference to "Are you using javascript to print out the onmouseover
text, or a server-side language?"  - yes, I am using javascript to print the
mouseover text because it's coming from the server via an ajax interaction
and not on a page load.

I can certainly post code, but maybe I was more clear about the situation
here.