Hi,

I'm off to bed, but since you still haven't posted the JSON data your
server is returning, I'll tell you what I'm pretty sure is wrong.
Apologies for any lack of clarity, I'm rushing.  I suspect your JSON
looks like this:

Example #1:
* * * *
{
   "message":  "This is a \'message\' with \"quotes\" in it."
}
* * * *

That JSON snippet defines a property, "message", with a string value
that DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY BACKSLASHES.  The string contains quotes.
The *value* of the string is:

    This is a 'message' with "quotes" in it.

Now, that's entirely correct and as it should be.  Where I think
you're going wrong is where you're using it.  Say we have the JSON
data from Example 1 above decoded and stored in a variable called
'json'.  If I wanted to show an alert with that text, I could use the
*value* of json.message to do that:

    alert(json.message);

That's fine.  But setting innerHTML is different.  You're setting a
string with the textual representation of the HTML and JavaScript you
want to put in the element.  That string will be decoded and
interpreted by the browser.  It needs to be the textual representation
of what you want.  So if I wanted to create a click handler to show
that alert, this would be wrong:

    element.innerHTML = "<div onclick=\"alert('" + json.message + "');
\" />"; // <= WRONG

Let's deconstruct why.  First, let's substitute in the value of
json.message:

    element.innerHTML = "<div onclick=\"alert('This is a \'message\'
with \"quotes\" in it.');\" />";

Remember that the right-hand side of that is a string.  Let's look at
the value of that string:

...which is, of course, wrong.

So what do you do?  Well, what *I* would do is not use an onclick
handler in the first place.  Use Event.observe instead:

    element.innerHTML = "<div id='myDiv' />";
    Event.observe.defer('myDiv', 'click', function() {
        alert(json.message);
    });

Creating handlers via innerHTML is (as you've discovered!) complicated
and unpleasant.  But if you *really* want to do that, you'll have to
escape the string.  I haven't had to do that in JavaScript for so long
I don't recall whether it has a built-in for it (it's not "escape()",
sadly) or whether Prototype has a method for it (not seeing on one
first glance).  It's probably not a complicated regex, basically put a
backslash in front of all chars in the '\x00' to '\x1f' range
(inclusive) and in front of single quote ('), double quote ("), and
backslash (/).

HTH,