Ok, I've solved this...

Apparently, the problem stems from trying to use both prototype AND
jQuery on the same page. I thought I needed prototype for
active_scaffold (AS does require prototype) but I was able to remove
both active_scaffold and prototype from my app.

Now I no longer get the Object doesn't support... error in IE6.

Of course, this being IE6, I now get a different error in swfobject.js
for my charts.

Funny how Safari and FF don't have these problems.

Thanks for the help T.J.

John