Well unfortunately there is a 1MB leak in IE7 when you run the
event_test on the latest version of prototype. Since there is
significant changes in this version compared to the publicly available
1.6.0.3 version, I am guessing you guys are getting close to releasing
1.6.0.4?

FWIW, I took the checked out version (still labeled 1.6.0.3) and made
the following changes to _destroyCache:

function _destroyCache() {
-    for (var i = 0, length = CACHE.length; i < length; i++)
+    for (var i = 0, length = CACHE.length; i < length; i++){
      Event.stopObserving(CACHE[i]);
+      CACHE[i] = null;
+    }
+
+    for (var element in Element.cache) Element.cache[element] = null;
}

And a re-ran my tests and guess what? No memory leak. Wonderful except
that it looks like a lot of the Event stuff has been re-written so
applying these changes to the publicly available 1.6.0.3 version is
not completely straight-forward. I am still working on patching mine
but should have an update tomorrow by midday.

-justin