Hi Alex,

Going beyond progressive enhancement, I'd take Google's approach with
products like Maps and Gmail as great examples of extremely rich
interfaces that are also done very well as "basic html."

The end result for them is, in these rather extreme cases, actually
coding the application *twice* - neither of the "basic html" versions
of Maps or Gmail are just the same app with JS turned off, they are a
different UI altogether.

Obviously that approach isn't practical in a huge number of cases, and
it's always up to the developer and client to decide if any particular
app can afford to ignore X percent and simple go the route of
disallowing non-js users.  It might be worth noting that the values
you get (5% percent as you said from w3schools) could relate to the
*traffic* rather than the *number of visitors* - it could be that 10
or even 20% of actual users dont have JS enabled, but are only
generating 5% of the traffic.

I would say that if your app is "mostly" functional without JS, but
you want to encourage it, to throw up a warning notice that the user's
experience would be greatly improved if they did have it enabled.
That seems much more graceful than a redirect.