@masterleep:

I think there are still some IE8 issues.  Now that a final is out,
they'll probably get resolved soon.  I know kangax (at least) is
working on some of them and several have already been resolved in the
trunk version.  Would you give the trunk version a go?

@RobG:

> Then that is a bug in IE 8.

It _may_ be.  Half the point of readAttribute it that it "...cleans up
the horrible mess Internet Explorer makes when handling attributes"[1]
and consequently it does a *lot* of processing around the getAttribute
call, including (in trunk) several IE8-specific branches.  Always
possible that that code isn't handling something right.  Equally, it's
entirely possible that there's a (new) bug in IE8. :-)  I don't
currently have a machine I can load IE8 on to find out whether the
fault is in IE8's getAttribute or Prototype's readAttribute.

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/element/readAttribute