I'm not sure what the issue might be under Struts, but in PHP, you
have to make sure that your sessions are closed immediately when
trying to run multiple requests like this. I ran into something that
sounds exactly as you describe a year and change ago, and making sure
that the session in the parent page was closed before letting an Ajax
request fly made all the difference. If you have two pages open in
separate tabs, and those pages each grab a session and your server
doesn't terminate and write those sessions to disk, you may have a
lock there against using those sessions again in your Ajax call.

Walter