I DO have that in my main stylesheet Mona..and I have .clearfix
{overflow:auto} within style tags in my html layout page. here's exactly
what i have now..

main.css

.clearfix:after
{
content:".";
display:block;
height:0;
clear:both;
visibility:hidden;
}
.form {
       padding: 1em;
       border: 0px;
       font: 90% "Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, sans-serif;
       background: #F4FECA;
 }
.gform {
width : 810px;
       line-height: 20px;
margin: 0 auto;
}

main.html.erb (layout page)
(within head tags)
     .clearfix {zoom: 1;     /* triggers hasLayout */ }

and the comments partial

everything else is the same as before.
is it definitely the unfixed height causing this? it definitely sounds like
a plausible cause though.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Mona Remlawi <mona.reml...@gmail.com>wrote:

> hey Ram, you mentioned that you are testing on Safari and FF.
> so you need to include this rule
> .clearfix:after
> {content:".";display:block;height:0;clear:both;visibility:hidden;}
> in your style block.
>
> .clearfix {overflow:auto}
> is required for IE support.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=clearing+floats
>

> cheers
>
> --
> mona
> mreml...@optaros.com
>
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Ram <yourstruly.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Walter,
> >
> > Thanks for pointing me to the right resources. Im reading up on it
> > here http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?page=2&cid=c37E0.
> >
> > It still doesnt fix my problem though. I tried overflow:auto instead
> > of zoom:1 and the only difference was the I got a vertical scroll bar
> > inside the comms div this time. But the div still just gets displayed
> > and then hidden abruptly without the effect.
> >
> > Any idea?
> >
> > On Apr 22, 10:06 pm, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote:
> >> Windows IE doesn't properly set floated elements to occupy design
> >> space unless you set a value for the height or width, or you use one
> >> of several different hacks to get it to trigger its internal property
> >> "hasLayout".
> >>
> >> .clearfix {
> >>         overflow: auto;
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >> <!--[if IE]>
> >> .clearfix {
> >>         zoom: 1;}

> >> <![endif]-->
> >>
> >> Either one of these will work, and there are others. Google the Holly
> >> Hack, or just readhttp://positioniseverything.netorhttp://
> quirksmode.org
> >>
> >> Within IE, an object with hasLayout = true can be manipulated by the
> >> animation engine, but one that does not appears (to IE) to occupy no
> >> space; therefore making it shrink and grow is something of an issue,
> >> since there's no existing dimension to work from. You could simply
> >> give this object fixed dimensions, then it's trivial to make it shrink
> >> and grow. But then standards-compliant browsers will clip off the
> >> content (or cause it to overflow its box) when they reach that size,
> >> and fail to respond to text-size changes as gracefully as they might
> >> otherwise.
> >>
> >> Walter

--
In Sport We Trust !!!