I've tried a simple example here, and the only way I can get it to
break is if I try to slide an empty DIV up and down. Clearly that's
not your problem here.

Is there some way you could post a cut-down example somewhere live?
Run your Rails app locally, view source, copy and paste into a text
editor, and fix up the paths to the scripts. (Use Googles CDN, f.e.)
Post that somewhere we can look at it and click on it.

Walter