What I would do is get the new ID from the database on drop. So you
would create your list of "prototype" widgets that you drag from, then
make a Sortable list to drag into. Set the first list to be Draggable
with revert: true and ghosting:true, then add an onDrop method to the
Sortable list.

Inside that method, you would send an Ajax request to your database
for a new widget, and use the numerical ID of that returned widget as
the key part of your cloned item ID.

I have not figured out how to enable this sort of cloned-sortable
thing yet, the best I have been able to do is to drag an element into
a sortable list, append it to the list, re-make the Sortable so it can
use the new element, and then allow the user to place it precisely.

I would love it if someone would document how to drag from a Sortable
into another Sortable, place a clone of the original element instead
of the original, and then leave the original list intact. I imagine
that it would involve making the clone on the initiation of the drag
out of the donor list, place it (or not, cleaning up as needed) in the
recipient list, and then restoring the original list.

Walter