"the best I have been able to do is to drag an element into
a sortable list, append it to the list, re-make the Sortable so it
can
use the new element, and then allow the user to place it precisely."

Well that's what I've done already, but how to clone an item, and at
the same time change it ID to the necessary one. That's what's the
question.