No, if you drag things between lists on a page, you are moving the
actual DOM object out of one list and into another, and the ID remains
the same, just the parent object changes.

Likewise, when you sort elements on the page, their order changes, but
their ID remains the same. If you use the onUpdate callback to the
Sortable, you can update the database with the result of the sort
operation, as seen in the Sortable.serialize Wiki page:
http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/sortable-serialize

In my cut-down example, I have an Ajax call to go out to the database
and get a new ID. That's the only place new IDs can come from in my
model.

Walter