Hi,

String#escapeHTML doesn't do anything with embedded newlines; it
"Converts HTML special characters to their entity equivalents."
Newlines aren't special HTML characters, they're just whitespace.

You can easily do what you want with a String#replace[1]:

    after = before.replace(/\n/g, "<br/>");

Be sure you do the replace *after* you escape the HTML, otherwise
you'll end up with the <br/> displayed literally.  So:

    after = before.escapeHTML().replace(/\n/g, "<br/>");

I don't think browsers ever put a \r before the \n in textareas, but I
couldn't swear to it, so if it were me I'd probably hedge my bets and
optionally include it:

    after = before.escapeHTML().replace(/\r?\n/g, "<br/>");

[1]
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Objects/String/Replace

HTH,