Yes, mysql_query doesn't return a list, it returns a resource
identifier. You have to create the list yourself using a loop and
mysql_fetch_object or mysql_fetch_array or one of the other "fetchers".

Before we go much further, I need to remind you that this is not a PHP
list, and that those things do exist -- that's got to be one of the
best* explained languages on earth.

The example I posted was working code ripped out of a busy site.
However it relies on the MyActiveRecord ORM to do anything.

define('MYACTIVERECORD_CONNECTION_STR', 'mysql://user:p...@localhost/
databasename');
require_once('MyActiveRecord.0.5.php');
class widgets extends MyActiveRecord{}
$list = MyActiveRecord::FindAll('widgets',null,'position ASC');
foreach($list as $item){
        //print_r($item);
        //do what you want with $item->name, $item->description...
}

That is all there is to that. Anything else, I really recommend this
book: ISBN:0-672-31784-2 (may be -3 now, don't know what the current
version is). PHP and MySQL Web Development, by Luke Welling and Laura
Thomson. (SAMS)

Walter

*Where by "best" I simply mean "most".