Hi Mona,

I agree, dots and colons are valid in HTML, and so should work with
the selector engine.

I took a quick look at Lighthouse[1], and it looks like there may be a
ticket[2] or two[3] there that is relevant, although #559 is marked as
fixed in 1.6.1 and you say what you're seeing is still an issue in
RC3.  It was a very quick search, though, so please have a good look
and open a ticket if you don't find one already open for this.  (I'm
surprised that both 1.6.0.3 and 1.6.1 should have this bug, as they
use completely different selector engines.)

FWIW, can I suggest a one-page test case with no dependancies other
than Prototype?  Just something very simple; the one you posted
earlier is a bit much to grok in the time most people have available.
(Maybe this is less true for people who have used scripty's unit test
suite more than I.)

[1] http://prototype.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8886-prototype
[2] https://prototype.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8886-prototype/tickets/559
[3] https://prototype.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8886-prototype/tickets/501