Hi T.J.,

ticket#559 is very relevant indeed, and the final patch contained
" ... id = id.replace(/[\.:]/g, "\\$1"); ... " [1]
does solve the issue with dots and colons in IDs.

However, looks like this patch didn't make it to the 'bleeding-edge
version'. [3]
Instead, there is the old (still buggy) patch
" ... id = id.replace(/[\.:]/g, "\\$0"); ... " [2]

So, I don't know how to go from here, is RC4 due any time soon (i
really dislike manual changes in prototype core :) )

[1]
http://github.com/sstephenson/prototype/commit/059ce21040ce1c469d13c3633ead78d03fc610c3
[2]
http://github.com/sstephenson/prototype/commit/97fc24a0b2f32717c40a0d71bbdea4ca58e0847b