From: "ColinFine" <colin.f...@pace.com>
To: "Prototype & script.aculo.us" <prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:09 PM
Subject: [Proto-Scripty] Re: selectors failing in IE8&FF3

On Jul 21, 10:42 am, "Alex McAuley" <webmas...@thecarmarketplace.com>
wrote:
> Why would you want to use "." in an id.... In most web programming a "."
> or
> a "::" means its a node or part of a class or something.
>
> This makes no sense to me why anyone would want to confuse js libraries
> and
> possible server side backends.

I started out agreeing with you, then thought about it, and realised
that I disagree quite strongly. Why shouldn't you use dots if you
want? Different languagfe use symbols in different ways. In both Perl
and PHP (two widely used languages for web programming) '.' is a
concatenation operator, not a hierarchical one. It is now quite common
to use dots between the parts of an email name, though the purists
used to complain that the dot was supposed to denote hierarchy.

If the HTML spec didn't allow '.', that would be different. But since
it does you are free to use them. There's no question of 'confusing'
js libraries or server programs unless those libraries and programs
are wrong, in which case they ought to be fixed.