Hi,

>           if (http_request.readyState == 4) {
>             if (http_request.status == 200) {
>                                  document.getElementById('load').innerHTML =
> "";

You're not using Ajax.Request[1] or Ajax.Updater[2]?

> This is my onSuccess handler, how do
> I apply evalScripts?

DJ and I are talking about a Prototye onSuccess handler for one of the
two features above.

> document.getElementById(div).innerHTML = thereturn;

Your code is setting the innerHTML property directly.  If you just
change that line to use Element#update instead, #update will handle
eval'ing the scripts for you:

    $(div).update(thereturn);

Altenately, keep setting innerHTML directly (although #update does
some very handy things for you) and then after doing that, call
String#evalScripts() directly:

    document.getElementById(div).innerHTML = thereturn;
    thereturn.evalScripts();

String#evalScripts is a method Prototype adds to the String prototype
and so it's available on all strings.  Details here.[4]

Looking at your quoted code, you're not making much use of Prototype
at all -- not even the $() function!  (So much more compact than
document.getElementById.)  I suggest taking an hour to read through
the API docs[5] front-to-back to get an idea of what's on offer.  It
literally takes an hour and saves you no end of time in the long run.
May also be worth reading through some stuff on the unofficial wiki
[6].

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/request
[2] http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/updater
[3] http://prototypejs.org/api/element/update