  From: bill
  To: prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:28 PM
  Subject: [Proto-Scripty] Re: POSTing a form via AJAX

  bill wrote:
    T.J. Crowder wrote:
Hi,

'Tis indeed very easy.  Say you have a form wrapped in a div:

    </form></div>

You can post it like so and take the result (which is presumed to be
an HTML snippet in this case) and use that to update the container:

    new Ajax.Updater('formwrapper', someurl, {
        parameters:  $('formwrapper').down('form').serialize(true),
        onFailure: function(response) {
            // ...show a failure message...

    That seemed so easy when I read the post, but. . .

    How do I trigger the submission ?
    I tried onsubmit = {the code above} and it just submitted regularly and
replaced the whole page with the output, not just the div.

    I tried putting the code above as a script after the form, but still in the
div and got the same result.

    bill
  Putting the code as a script did not work, I expect, because the script was
not served by Ajax.updater.
  Using Firebug I determined that the script was stripped out, which raises the
next question.
  I know that I need to set a parameter to updater so that it will not strip
scripts.  I have read the section on
  evalScripts and the need to set the function with coolFunc = function () {

  The script that loads the form is invoked as:
   new Ajax.Updater('showMessageDiv',url ,  {method: 'get',evalScripts: true}
);  // get the requested message
  where url is defined as: url = 'mail/getmessage.php?n=' + message_id;
  but it does not upload the script so I suspect that I have the evalScripts in
the wrong place.

--
Bill Drescher
william {at} TechServSys {dot} com