At 10:54 -0400 22/8/09, bill wrote:
>Putting it all together (apparently wrongly) I have:
>

>$('messageProcessForm').observe('submit',function(event) {
>new Ajax.Updater('showMessageDiv', mail/process_message.php, {
>         parameters:  $('showMessageDiv').down('form').serialize(true),
>         onFailure: function(response) {
>          alert ("mail.js: failure to submit form - getmessage");
>         }
>Event.stop(event); // will stop it doing its default action!
>     });
>
>}
>
>When I try to load this I get the message:
>
>Error: missing } after property list
>Source File:
><http://192.168.0.101/MP2010-v2/scripts/mail.js>http://192.168.0.101/MP2010-v2/scripts/mail.js
>Line: 33
>Source Code:
>Event.stop(event); // will stop it doing its default action!
>
>but, I can't see a missing close bracket.

Jumping in here as a non-expert, but I think the problem may be that
your 'Event.stop(event);' is in the wrong place and should be outside
the 'new Ajax.Updater(...)', either before or after, but not inside.
It's when it hits that line that it's looking for the extra }.

--
Cheers... Chris
Highway 57 Web Development -- http://highway57.co.uk/

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.
    -- Bill Clinton, former US President