You've defined your function after you reference it...

It needs to be created first then it can be referenced.

function getSelectedId(text, li) {
            $('class_id').value=li.id;
            document.forms['searchcustomerform'].submit();
        }

    new Ajax.Autocompleter("search","hint","server_class.php",
{afterUpdateElement : getSelectedId, minChars:1});

--

http://positionabsolute.net