Hello,

I am glad to say that I found the root of the problem. I had a button named submit and this was causing the problem.

Thanks so much Matt for pointing out the function definition error.

As Christo notes here: (http://www.spiration.co.uk/post/1232/Submit%20is%20not%20a%20function)

This means you have a function trying to call the form's submit() method, but you also have a button which is called submit(). This causes a conflict in _javascript_, because the submit method is already bound to that button.

To solve the problem, simply change the name of the button so that name="moo" (or something). Your submit() call in your _javascript_ function/method will now work.

Sincerely,
Yogesh

Yogesh Agashe wrote:
Thanks for pointing out this error Matt. I should have noticed this.

But even after defining the function earlier, form submit doesn't work :(

Sorry.

Sincerely,
Yogesh

Matt Foster wrote:
You've defined your function after you reference it...

It needs to be created first then it can be referenced.

function getSelectedId(text, li) {
            $('class_id').value=li.id;
            document.forms['searchcustomerform'].submit();
        }

    new Ajax.Autocompleter("search","hint","server_class.php",
{afterUpdateElement : getSelectedId, minChars:1});

--

http://positionabsolute.net