No modifications are needed to any of the scriptaculous code. The
afterUpdateElement passes the arguments (text, li).to our callback
method, so you can access the contents of <li> as is, using its
innerHTML property. Sample code is as follows

new Ajax.Autocompleter(inputTextBox, listContainerDIV,
serverSideScript, { paramName:'someName',
parameters:'oneOrMore=parameters', minChars:2,
afterUpdateElement:callbackMethod });

function callbackMethod(text, li) {
  li.innerHTML // gets the intact contents of the <li> element
}

It is working for me, not sure if this is the best way to do it.

Thanks.

Ashwin