Thanks for all the help and advice guys!
Yes, I know the code is quite horrific at the moment - due to the way
I have my uni projects scheduled, I need to get the basic add/edit
functionality working as soon as humanly possible so that I can do
some HCI evaluation on the UI. Once that is done, I can look at how to
make the code more elegant and adhere to the relevant standards. That
is not to say that I do not appreciate people pointing out where I
have gone wrong elsewhere though, all pointers are well and truly
appreciated.

Now to see if I can fix it with this advice...