Hi,

> > * FF 3.6 reports that $(document).mousemove is not a function (which,
> > to be fair, it isn't).
>
> I can't address this actually. I open the demo page using FF3.6.2 without
> any problem.

Do you have Firebug installed and enabled? Becuase it _is_ happening:
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1269591217067601700.png

> > That's all I tried (didn't try IE8, Safari, etc.).
>
> I tried on IE8. It works fine. No effort spent on Safari yet.

At my end, IE8 reports the same errors that IE7 does ("Object does not
support this property or method"). This is usually the result of
trying to use Prototype extensions on elements that haven't been
passed through $ (because on IE, the extensions can't be done at the
prototype level as with most other browsers). More:
http://prototypejs.org/learn/extensions

-- T.J.