On 4 August 2010 18:20, Eric <lefauv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 1:26 pm, Richard Quadling <rquadl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> $('form_id').observe('blur', function(ev) {
>>  var el = ev.findElement('input[type=text]');
>>  if (el) {
>>   // el is the element that triggered the blur.
>> .../...
>> [1]http://api.prototypejs.org/dom/event/findelement/
>
> According to the provided link, "If no matching element is found, the
> document itself (HTMLDocument node) is returned.".
>
> Is it a bug in the documentation?
> Until now, I've been paranoid testing (el && el != document) but I
> have a feeling that your test works as we think it should (returning
> null or undefined when no matching element is found).
>
> Any enlightenment on this topic is welcome :o)
>
> Eric

Hmm. In my use of this construct, I've always been careful when using
findElement(). The selector in use will be an accurate one and will
always return the element I want. I'd suspect that the documentation
is fine. Could/should I be more careful ... probably, but this has
worked for me for a LONG time and the UX testers haven't spotted
anything untorward with regards to this issue.

As with all things you get off the internet ... YMMV.