If you are interested in the day-to-day of the development cycle, you can subscribe to the prototype-core mailing list. It's not meant to serve the same role as this list; it's definitely not where you would go for help, for example. But you can hear the chatter and gauge the level of effort being put into this non-dead, actively developed framework.

I'd be curious to know what parts of 1.7 are critical to your ongoing development efforts. What new features relative to 1.6.x to you absolutely need in order to get your work done?

Walter