Hi,

I find that either/or choices tend to be false choices. Not always,
but frequently enough that I've taught myself to stop and ask whether
it's really either/or. (Especially since my brain tends to default
that way -- either/or, black/white, right/wrong -- and so I have to
keep reminding myself that the world is more interesting than that...)

Perhaps a both/and solution? Teach the fundamentals of JavaScript and
DOM manipulation, then as an adjunct, do a section on how you can use
libraries to smooth out browser differences and get useful utility
functions, and that's when you introduce jQuery, Prototype, possibly a
couple of the others as well. There are a *lot* of libraries out there
besides jQuery and Prototype:

* YUI: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/
* Closure: http://code.google.com/closure/library
* Dojo: http://dojotoolkit.org/
* Any of several others:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JavaScript_libraries

You can even point out how they solve the same problems differently
(and how they solve other problems much the same way). You could
discuss the technical pros and cons of each, and talk about how
technical pros and cons do not always dictate project decisions like
we engineers tend to think they should -- e.g., there are other
factors to consider, like stability, pace of development, style of
development, etc.

That would (to my mind) more thoroughly prepare the students for going
out in the world and doing useful work, even if they end up using a
library that you hadn't shown them at all.

>From a crass commercial standpoint, I have to agree with Yuval that
out in the marketplace, in today's world, right this minute, your
students will get more utility out of being familiar with jQuery than
being familiar with Prototype. *IF* you had to teach just one library,
but again, teaching one library isn't what I'd recommend anyway.

FWIW,
Independent Software Engineer
tj / crowder software / com
www / crowder software / com