I also enjoy using Prototype's methodology and would gladly contribute
to keep it alive if the core team pull their weight too. For example
some pull requests on github are over a year old! In fact, I volunteer
to help clear the backlog. As one of the top prototype users on
stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/tags/prototypejs/topusers) I
am capable of the necessary level of commitment. Please allow us all
to assist.

As to the future of the library I agree that jQuery has "won" the
battle by attrition but is woefully underachieving in the language
enhancements. I can imagine a stripped down version of Prototype that
has none of the DOM manipulation so it can coexist with all other
libraries and avoid dulicated features, and instead provide more of
those essentials like Enumerable and Class.