On Feb 19, 2012, r...@gmx.at wrote:

> Hello
>
> The problem "Starting psad: Global symbol "$pid" requires explicit package
> name at /usr/sbin/psad line 9718." is gone.
> I found a typo in psad. I reloaded the patched version.
> Sorry for that.
>
> md5sum /usr/sbin/psad
> 027d77df68c8096715ae96a8ccbc2198  /usr/sbin/psad
>
> Now we are back at the primary problem.
> also the patched version has the same problem with syslog.
> /etc/init.d/psad start
> Starting psad: Undefined subroutine &Unix::Syslog::LOG_DAEMON called at
> /usr/sbin/psad line 9443.

Ok, then clearly that patch did not fix the original problem.  I've had one
other
report of a similar issue on CentOS 5.6, but so far I've been unable to
reproduce
it on either Centos or OpenSuSE.  That makes it hard for me to troubleshoot.

> How are your plans about psad-3.0. When shall that version be available?

psad-3.0 is probably about two months away from being released.  It is a major
update to psad, and will include support for several new things such as IPv6
attack detection and support for PF firewall logs on OpenBSD.

I would like to fix the LOG_DAEMON issue though, and without a system to
reproduce
it a fix is unlikely in psad-3.0.  I'll keep trying...

Has anyone else seen this issue?  Perhaps on a different platform?

--Mike