My question (before we jump into CAN or anything else) is, "What nodes
need to talk to each other if the flight computer goes down?"

If the flight computer is down, the goal should be to get the rocket
to the ground safely.  I don't think there's much point in trying to
use CAN to log data.  Given the goal of a safe landing, what nodes
*really* need to talk to each other?

If it turns out that only two nodes need to talk to each other, why
bother with CAN?  Why not just run one serial connection between the
two?  I'm concerned that we're adding too much complexity for what
should be a really simple backup system.

Sarah