Hello!

It was suggested to me that it would be a good idea for me to throw my net
wider, so I’m posting this here in the hopes that someone experienced with
translations, programming as a non-native English speaker, and ideally teaching
non-native English students/children/new people how to program can chime in and
help us.

Essentially, we’re trying to make decisions about translations, what to support
and how to support it on a project called Warehouse (which will become PyPI 2.0
once it’s ready). One of the things that we’ve tried to do is setup the ground
work for (after we’ve launched it as pypi.python.org) we can start having
people come in and translate the UI to try and be more welcoming to folks who
either are not native English speakers, or may not speak English at all.

Sadly, I feel completely unprepared to really make any decisions in this area.
I am a native English speaker whom only speaks English, so this issue has no
impact on me or my ability to use PyPI. In the few people I’ve talked to, I’ve
had answers from non-native English speakers, ranging from “Don’t bother to
translate PyPI, programmers need to learn English” to “Gettext is good enough,
just use that” to “Gettext has shortcomings that make it hard to accurately get
high quality translates, use a different engine instead”.

I’m hoping by reaching out here, we can get some more opinions perhaps from
people in the affected demographic to chime in.

Some information:

* The bulk of the content of PyPI is English (and we’re looking at translating
the UI right now, not content) however not all of the content is English [1][2].
* We’re currently using L20n.js, I went into details about what it provides
over getttext on distutils-sig[3].
* L20n.js is client side, and thus we have to worry about browser support.
* zh-cn is our second largest language (behind English) with 8-9% of the views
on current PyPI coming from Chrome + zh-cn.
* The open issue for translations is
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/881 which has more information on it
as well.

I’d love it if people familiar with this sort of thing could weigh in, either
on this thread, or on the issue, or privately to me if you’d feel more
comfortable doing that. Also, please pass this on to any person or group you
may know that might have useful input!

Thanks!

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/byrlogin/1.1.3
[2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bypy/1.2.14