> On Jan 26, 2016, at 3:27 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <_...@lvh.cc> wrote:
>
> Hi Donald,
>

> One particular concern is for some Slavic languages and counts. If any of
> your messages has a specific number of things, you need to know what that
> number is to have a correct sentence (e.g. saying “I am 34 years old” and “I
> am 35 years old” has a different grammatical structure; notably, you need to
> know what the number is to know how to spell “years”.). I believe this is
> currently a limitation of gettext, but I also know that in many languages
> gettext is actually gettext + FEATURES, and it’s not clear to me if Python’s
> gettext solves this problem.

Hey, thanks! That’s great information, and I bet that’s why L20n.js (what we’re
currently using.. but it’s client side so we need to decide if that’s OK and if
it is if the browser support is OK) lets you sort of program your translations
a bit.

An example from the L20n website is here
http://l20n.org/learn/putting-it-all-together-complex-plurals-example/

I’m not sure how to tell if Python’s gettext supports that. The documentation
says "If a translation is found, apply the plural formula to n, and return the
resulting message (some languages have more than two plural forms).” which
sounds like it might work like that? I found
https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Plural-forms.html which
goes way over my head but it mentions Slavic languages so that seems promising?