On 01/26/2016 09:46 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>> On Jan 26, 2016, at 3:27 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <_...@lvh.cc> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Donald,
>>

>> One particular concern is for some Slavic languages and counts. If any of
>> your messages has a specific number of things, you need to know what that
>> number is to have a correct sentence (e.g. saying “I am 34 years old” and “I
>> am 35 years old” has a different grammatical structure; notably, you need to
>> know what the number is to know how to spell “years”.). I believe this is
>> currently a limitation of gettext, but I also know that in many languages
>> gettext is actually gettext + FEATURES, and it’s not clear to me if Python’s
>> gettext solves this problem.
>>

> Hey, thanks! That’s great information, and I bet that’s why L20n.js (what
> we’re currently using.. but it’s client side so we need to decide if that’s
> OK and if it is if the browser support is OK) lets you sort of program your
> translations a bit.

Any stats on how many visitors have Javascript turned off?

> An example from the L20n website is here
> http://l20n.org/learn/putting-it-all-together-complex-plurals-example/
>
> I’m not sure how to tell if Python’s gettext supports that. The documentation
> says "If a translation is found, apply the plural formula to n, and return
> the resulting message (some languages have more than two plural forms).”
> which sounds like it might work like that? I found
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Plural-forms.html which
> goes way over my head but it mentions Slavic languages so that seems
> promising?

Gettext's "ngettext" supports one number per message (translation unit),
and  which is good enough for most UI cases. So you can translate "I'm
34 years old" perfectly, but "remaining time: 5 hours 3 minutes 1
second" is not possible. (The good news is that it's impossible to
represent using ngettext, even in English: the translator can't end up
with a piece of text that can't be translated well.)