Hi John,

Welcome to the list. I'm sorry if your name doesn't sound familiar but, I don't 
recall you ever being a part of the relatively small community of outSPOKEN 
users using Pro Tools. where did you learn how to use Pro Tools with outSPOKEN? 
I'm also curious how you read your level meters in version 5?

Anyway, your question, perhaps you might appreciate, is very difficult to 
answer because everybody's situation is unique. Some folks get a system that 
works for them and, if it ain't broke, they're happy to stay on a such a system 
for years. This is true for sighted users of Pro Tools as well. I know people 
who are on version 7.4 and won't upgrade for a whole host of reasons.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no soft synths and samplers." Are you referring 
to accessibility specifically? How have you locked Sonar to Pro Tools or vice 
versa? You can certainly do the same with PT version.Most folks lock Logic and 
Pro Tools but, hey, whatever works. If your workflow involves a lot of MIDI, 
your current setup will probably be worth preserving, albeit with the current 
version of Pro Tools.

I understand you're new to VoiceOver and that might be slowing you down 
somewhat but editing in Pro Tools should be, if anything else, faster. It's 
true that, for certain things like reading across inserts and sends, outsPOKEN 
seems faster but it's way more efficient overall.

All that said, I still use version 5.3 on a daily basis along with version 9 
whenever that makes more sense. Perhaps I'll migrate some more work this year. 
Hopefully, with some more progress from Avid, it'll make it easier.

Best,

Slau


On Feb 26, 2012, at 4:02 PM, John Boral wrote:

> Hey guys, I still have PT 5.1.3 with outspoken but I figured at some
> point I have to make the switch. I just got a Mac Pro 12 core and PT
> HD9. I see some of you on here have used PT with outspoken in the past
> so my big question is should I continue on with this quest. I feel
> very discouraged when I read about no softsynths and samplers. I have
> SampleTank, SampleCell, Stylus and a host of other synths. What I'm
> doing now is using Sonar for stuff that PT 5 can't do and I have both
> machines locked so I can do everything in real time. I can't record in
> Sonar and then bounce the mix over to PT because I need to mix the
> synths and samplers in with the live stuff in real time and bouncing
> doesn't cut it. So, since this has been working for me and editing is
> so quick for flying stuff in and changing midi, will this new system
> do me just as good as long as I continue to use Sonar with it? Is
> there any talk of PT being able to do any softsynth or sampling stuff
> soon? I've been playing with it for a few weeks and so far I'm 50%
> slower on this new system between all of the VO stuff and editing. I
> hate all of the interacting stuff but I did manage to do a 24 track
> live recording within 3 weeks of getting everything. I still need new
> racks for IO because I have the old 888 IO which won't work with the
> new PT. Before I scrap everything I need some positive feedback in
> some of you telling me that the new system will be better and making
> me forge ahead. At this point it even takes me longer to simply select
> tracks for editing. Can one of the old timer PT users let me know what
> the future looks like and if they're making more or less progress than
> with the old version? Of course since I'm new to VO I also hate it
> compared to Outspoken and can't believe they couldn't just come up
> with so many things that Outspoken already had. Did anyone else feel
> that way at the beginning? Thanks guys and I appreciate you taking the
> time for posting all of the great wisdom you all have. I've been
> reading through for the past 3 weeks or so and learned a great deal.

Reply via email to