Hello. Thank you all for your advice.
I have tried to install ptolemy on ubuntu as much as I could these days...

However, I still have the same problem.
My java is SUN java located in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin.

When I run ./configure I get two errors but I do not think they are severe. I
have attached them at the end.

Then I run either (make and make install) or (make >& make.out) as Christopher
suggests. But nothing happens. I have gnu make 3.81.
Some error I have are:
fast build with 'CLASSPATH="../../.." /usr/bin/javac -g -O *.java' in
/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/actor/parameters
LocationParameter.java:73: cannot access
ptolemy.data.type.MatrixType.DoubleMatrixType
class file for ptolemy.data.type.MatrixType$DoubleMatrixType not found
        setTypeEquals(BaseType.DOUBLE_MATRIX);
                              ^
./../../ptolemy/data/type/MatrixType.java:158: incompatible types
found   : ptolemy.data.type.MatrixType.DoubleMatrixType
required: ptolemy.data.type.MatrixType
            matrixType = BaseType.DOUBLE_MATRIX;
                                 ^
2 errors
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/copernicus/kernel'
fast build with
'CLASSPATH="../../..:/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/lib/sootclasses.jar:/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/lib/jasminclasses.jar:/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/lib/polyglotclasses-1.3.2.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/lib/jce.jar"
/usr/bin/javac -g -O *.java' in
/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/copernicus/kernel
./../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable this cannot
be referenced from a static context
        private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTerm() {
                                                         ^
./../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable this cannot
be referenced from a static context
        private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTerm() {
                                                                               ^
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated
fast build with 'CLASSPATH="../../../../../.." /usr/bin/javac -g -O *.java' in
/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/codegen/c/domains/sdf/lib
./../../../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable
this cannot be referenced from a static context
        private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTerm() {
                                                         ^
./../../../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable
this cannot be referenced from a static context
        private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTerm() {
                                                                               ^
Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
2 errors
make[6]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/codegen/c/actor/lib/test'
fast build with 'CLASSPATH="../../../../.." /usr/bin/javac -g -O *.java' in
/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/codegen/c/actor/lib
./../../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable this
cannot be referenced from a static context
        private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTerm() {
                                                         ^
./../../../../ptolemy/data/type/ArrayType.java:423: non-static variable this
cannot be referenced from a static context
        private InequalityTerm _replacementElementTerm = new ElementTypeTerm() {
                                                                               ^
I have also tried to compile either with CLASSPATH set, or without. Still
nothing good happens.

In ptolemy/data/type I have the attached classes after the compilation.
I do have TypeLattice.class in there and not in ptolemy/data.

I have tried to install ptolemy in a new ubuntu 7-10 machine. I got the errors
at the end.

It seems that there is a problem with ubuntu somehow. I would like to install
Viptos and I have already installed tinyos-2.x on ubuntu, so ptolemy is the
other prerequisite for VIPTOS. I think I should try to migrate to another
Linux distribution. In that case I will unfortunatelly have to go through the
painfull installation of tinyos(package after package).

I would appreciate any new suggestion upon these.

Thanks in advance,

Eva Kolega
Phd student
National Technical University of Athens, GREECE

-------------REST OF THE ERRORS----------------------------------------------
-------------configure errors------------------------------------------------
/configure  import javax.media.j3d.*;
^
1 error

configure: WARNING: '"/usr/bin/javac" java3dTest.java' failed.
    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/download.html
    Java 3D is only needed if you want to build in
    /usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/domains/gr,
    otherwise the build will proceed fine without Java 3D.

import quicktime.std.movies.media.*;
^
1 error
checking the which major type of OS we are running under... Linux
configure: WARNING: '"/usr/bin/javac" quickTime3dTest.java' failed.
    You may need to install QuickTime with the 'QuickTime For
    Java' option from http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/qtjava/
    During installation, choose 'custom' and then 'select all'.
    This drops QTJava.zip into the lib/ext of all your installed JREs.
    Then you have to copy this zip file to the jre/lib/ext directory
    of your SDK and rerun configure.
    If configure still fails, you may need to unzip the QTJava.zip
    file and create a QTJava.jar file:
       # unzip QTJava.zip
       cd QTJava
       jar -cf ../QTJava.jar .
    QuickTime for Java is only needed if you want to build in
    /usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/ptolemy/domains/gr/lib/quicktime,
    otherwise the build will proceed fine without Quicktime for Java.

--------------ptolemy/data/type classes-------------------------------------

ArrayType.java                      MatrixType$ComplexMatrixType.class
BaseType$1.class                    MatrixType$DoubleMatrixType.class
BaseType$BooleanType.class          MatrixType$FixMatrixType.class
BaseType.class                      MatrixType$IntMatrixType.class
BaseType$ComplexType.class          MatrixType.java
BaseType$DoubleType.class           MatrixType$LongMatrixType.class
BaseType$EventType.class            MonotonicFunction.class
BaseType$GeneralType.class          MonotonicFunction.java
BaseType$IntType.class              package.html
BaseType.java                       README.txt
BaseType$LongType.class             RecordType$1.class
BaseType$NilType.class              RecordType.class
BaseType$ObjectType.class           RecordType$FieldType.class
BaseType$PetiteType.class           RecordType.java
BaseType$ScalarType.class           StructuredType.class
BaseType$StringType.class           StructuredType.java
BaseType$UnknownType.class          test
BaseType$UnsignedByteType.class     Typeable.class
BaseType$UnsizedFixType.class       Typeable.java
BaseType$XmlTokenType.class         Type.class
demo                                TypeConstant.class
FixType.class                       TypeConstant.java
FixType.java                        Type.java
FunctionType$1.class                TypeLattice$1.class
FunctionType.class                  TypeLattice.class
FunctionType$FieldTypeTerm.class    TypeLattice.java
FunctionType.java                   TypeLattice$TheTypeLattice.class
HasTypeConstraints.class            UnionType$1.class
HasTypeConstraints.java             UnionType.class
makefile                            UnionType$FieldType.class
MatrixType$BooleanMatrixType.class  UnionType.java
MatrixType.class

---------------make errors on a new Ubuntu 7.10 installation--------------
cp: cannot stat `*.class': No such file or directory
make[2]: [img.jar] Error 1 (ignored)
Creating img.jar
(cd ptjar_tmpdir; "/usr/bin/jar"  -cvf tmp.jar .)
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/jar: not found
make[2]: *** [img.jar] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/img'
making jars in doc/tour
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/tour'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/tour'
making jars in doc/tutorial
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/tutorial'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/tutorial'
making jars in doc/ui
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/ui'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc/ui'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `coding/codingConfig.jar', needed by
`docConfig.jar'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ptII6.0.2/doc'
make: *** [subinstall] Error 2