Could you help me to understand what "implicitly" means here?

In this particular case, you might want to blame the super class's author
and tell the author, "Please use <content select=.input-foo> so that
subclass can override it with arbitrary element with class="input-foo".

Could you give me an concrete example which <content slot> can support, but
"<shadow> as function" can't support?